The two words no homeowner wants to hear, “foundation damage”. Once you hear those words you probably figure you are in for a long and costly repair process, after all, your foundation is literally what your house is built on. Foundation problems are best addressed as early as possible. Unfortunately, no house is completely immune to foundation problems, mainly due to fact that most foundation problems are due to the earth shifting around the home. Luckily, there are some signs to look for to try and catch foundation problems as soon as possible.
Signs of foundation problems are:
- Misaligned door and windows
- This can be a sign of a settling foundation and happens in every house, it is not necessarily a sign of a damaged foundation
- Doors that stick or wont fully close
- Hard to open windows
- Uneven floors or staircases
- Cracks in the drywall
- Gaps in wall seams or between the ceiling and the wall
- Large cracks in the exterior concrete
- Signs of flooding in the basement or perimeter of the house
If you recognize any of these signs it is a good idea to call an expert to come out and do a foundation inspection of your home. (Side note: it is extremely important to get a foundation inspection before you buy a house.) If you are selling your home, you will find it a lot easier if your foundation is damage free.
While there is no cure all for all foundation problems as they can differ depending on your home’s construction and the soil it sits on, no matter what your problem, Epp Concrete has a solution. A healthy foundation is key to a strong home, and you will see an immediate impact on your home once you repair the foundation. If you are tired of sticking doors and windows, a leaky basement, and unsightly cracks in your concrete, call the experts at Epp Concrete for a free estimate.