Foundation settlement is an unfortunate fact of life. Finding out that your home is settling can seem like a hopeless situation. How can you fight mother nature? While it may seem hopeless at first, once you understand foundation settlement, you can learn how we combat it.
What is foundation settlement?
Foundation settlement occurs when the soil below a home is unstable, causing it to expand and contract, resulting in a sinking movement, or settling, of the house’s foundation. This leads to cracks in interior and exterior surfaces, most often on the foundation or on walls and ceilings.
What causes foundation settlement?
- Evaporation – Hot and dry conditions may cause soil to pull away from the foundation. Due to this moisture imbalance, settlement can cause cracks to appear throughout the structure.
- Transpiration -Tree roots can dehydrate the soil beneath a home, causing soil shrinkage.
- Plumbing Leaks – Water from leaky plumbing is often a significant contributor to foundation and settlement problems.
- Drainage – Improper drainage will lead to excess moisture in the soil, which can, among other things, cause hydrostatic pressure to build up and push against foundation walls.
- Site Preparation – Soil needs to be adequately compacted before anything is built on top of it. If this isn’t done, the structure could experience foundation settlement.
Signs of a Sinking Foundation
Signs of foundation settlement include:
- Windows and doors that don’t open and close properly
- Uneven floors
- Separations between walls, ceilings, and the floor
- Cracks in floors
- Cracked walls
- Bowed walls
- Torn wallpaper
- Diagonal cracks
- Separated moldings
- Stair step cracks in brick or masonry
- Chimneys and porches that are separating from the house
How to Fix a Sinking Foundation
Repair options to fix a sinking foundation include,
- Steel push piers
- Helical piers
Both solutions permanently stop foundation settlement. Installation is quick, minimally invasive, and you’ll immediately see the results. At Epp Foundation Repair, all the parts we use are made from American steel and come with a 25-year transferrable limited warranty.
If you think your home might be experiencing foundation settlement, call the experts at Epp Foundation Repair for a free inspection and estimate today!