Have you ever wondered if you could fix a leaking crack yourself? Well, you certainly can fix a crack yourself it’ll just come at a cost and may result in you fixing the issue more than once.
Can I Fix a Leaking Crack in My Wall Myself?
In order to fix a leaking crack on your own you are going to need to make some purchases. There are several products out that professionals use to fix basements you just need to know which ones are best.
- You purchase this product as a kit that will cost you around $150-200. You will then usually need a special caulking gun that’ll cost you around $75 and then you may find yourself purchasing some more simple supplies.
- You can find the same styles and types of products that professionals use saving you around 50% based on what an average contractor charges.
A typical crack repair done by a professional will cost around $700-800.
Waterproofing Paints and Rubberized Coatings:
- As a foundation repair company, we generally don’t see these products working effectively. It’s not that you can’t get them to work it’s just that oftentimes it won’t be long-term and you’ll find your crack leaking again.
How Do You Know If a Product Is Going to Work?
- Most products that have been on the market longer have been tested and remain on the shelves because they were found to be effective and a great method.
- Some products are newer which means they haven’t been tested as much as the older products but that doesn’t mean they don’t work.
Disadvantages of Doing It Yourself:
- When homeowners try to repair cracks in their basement walls it normally takes them several times by trial and error. This leads to the homeowner spending more money to try and fix it themselves than if they choose to call a professional.
- Individuals often times are inexperienced with repairing it themselves and the fix isn’t done correctly causing the wall to still leak.
- About 35% of the leaks were done by a homeowner that later had to have a professional come out and fix the problem because the DIY ended up not working. Keep in mind that if you tried to repair the crack yourself and it failed to result in you calling a professional to come out to fix it that it may cost you more due to the fact that usually, the DIY product needs to be removed by the professional in order to be professionally fixed.
Repairing a basement crack yourself is possible, but if you find that calling Epp Foundation Repair will be easier and cheaper in the long run, give us a call, and we guarantee that your basement crack stays sealed!